Here at Master Mix Concrete we believe in sharing information and helping our customers make the best decisions. As a concrete supplier in Watford we deal with a lot of enquiries and questions, and because of the unique and powerful technology behind our volumetric concrete mixers we are able to deliver a huge array of different types of concrete grades, mixes and strengths. We want to help you find the perfect type of concrete mix for your construction project.
Concrete is usually made up from cement mixed with aggregates and water. When mixed together the aggregates (sand & stone) and water interact with the cement in a reaction called hydration. This matrix of materials soon begins to harden and will continue to get stronger over nearly a whole month.
All of the concrete mixes below use carefully calculated amounts of the core ingredients to create different types and strengths of concrete.
TYPES OF CONCRETE MIXES
GRADE: C10 CONCRETE
- Strength: 10 Newtons after 28 days.
- C10 is a very popular mix used in domestic and commercial construction. This concrete is generally used for non-structural construction elements like patio slabs and pathways.
GRADE: C15 CONCRETE
- Strength: 15 Newtons after 28 days.
- An ideal concrete mix for floor blinding and kerb mix.
GRADE: C20 CONCRETE
- Strength: 20 Newtons after 28 days.
- Concrete at this strength is often applied on domestic floors and foundations where the weight of overall structures on the concrete will be lighter. C20 is ideal for domestic workshop and garage bases as well as driveways and internal floor slabs.
GRADE: C25 CONCRETE
- Strength: 25 Newtons after 28 days.
- A multi-purpose concrete that is used on a wide range of commercial and domestic construction sites. C25 is often used when pouring foundations (footings). It is also the ideal concrete for domestic slab foundations for house and bungalow floors.
GRADE: C30 CONCRETE
- Strength: 30 Newtons after 28 days.
- The lowest strength concrete to consider for pathways and roadways on which heavy vehicles will be driving on regularly – such as yards, farms or HGV slipways. As a stronger mix C30 is very durable and can resist climate changes and heavy weathering.
GRADE: C35 CONCRETE
- Strength: 35 Newtons after 28 days.
- A structurally strong, heavy use mix that is ideal for commercial structures and sites that will need to withstand heavy use. It is commonly used for structural piling and creating external slabs and walls. Other uses include commercial slabs including metal reinforcement and agricultural and construction industry containment areas such as yards and barns.
GRADE: C40 CONCRETE
- Strength: 40 Newtons after 28 days.
- C40 is a strong grade of concrete that is mostly used on commercial construction sites, where it will be utilised to create foundations and beams for support and roads. C40 is also used in chemically harsh environments where the additional strength can combat and contain acidic and hazardous chemicals – such as farmyard slurry and septic tanks.
It is also possible to introduce additional materials and chemicals into the mix if special qualities are required.
- Plasticisers – this makes the mixed concrete more workable and free-flowing. Ideal if it needs to be laid quickly.
- Fibres – these can increase the concrete’s strength and help prevent cracking.
- Retardants – these additives slow down the curing process of concrete, giving you more time to work.
- Accelerants – these additives speed up the curing process, ensuring the concrete begins to cure much faster than normal.
If you require further information don’t hesitate to contact the Master Mix Concrete team where an experienced member can offer you advice and instruction. Remember to always consult with a professional builder that has experienced your site and requirements first hand.
- ANY SIZE
- FREE NO
- ONLY PAY FOR
WHAT YOU USE
- SAME DAY/
NEXT DAY DELIVERY
AREAS WE COVER
We deliver concrete of any size order to Harrow, Watford and the
surrounding areas, promising fast, same or next day deliveries and
an efficient service every time.